A properly planned vegan diet can offer a great many health advantages. Here, we’ve collected the best vegan-oriented diet books pertaining to health, weight loss, fitness, and reversing heart disease.
General Vegan Information
- Veganist: Lose Weight, Get Healthy, Change the World. Kathy Freston’s bestselling guide to healthful, compassionate, environmentally sustainable eating.
- The Ultimate Vegan Guide. A quick and easy read that will answer all your questions about transitioning to a plant-centered diet.
- The Kind Diet. Alicia Silverstone’s guide to healthful, environmentally responsible eating. Let Alicia show you how to continuously upgrade your diet without feelings of deprivation.
- Becoming Vegan. A research-heavy overview of vegan health and nutrition, written by two Registered Dietitians.
- The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook. A terrific weight loss guide and cookbook from Neal Barnard, MD.
- Foods That Cause You to Lose Weight: The Negative Calorie Effect. Dr. Barnard shares the secret to selecting the foods that deliver maximum satiety with the fewest calories.
- The McDougall Program: 12 Days to Dynamic Health. Dr. John McDougall’s 12-day program to kickstart you to a new level of health.
- The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss. A sensible and easy-to-follow approach to losing weight on the McDougall program.
- The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook. Easy-to-make and satisfying recipes drawn straight from the McDougall program.
- The Engine 2 Diet. Written by firefighter and former professional endurance athlete Rip Esselstyn. An accessible, inspiring book that will give you the tools to eat right and to get in the best shape of your life.
- Thrive. Endurance athlete Brendan Branzier’s vegan, mostly raw foods guide to diet and fitness.
- Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness. Robert Cheeke shares his story of becoming one of the world’s leading vegan bodybuilders.
Heart Disease & Diabetes
- Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. The acclaimed and proven-successful dietary approach to reverse heart disease, written by Caldwell Essesltyn, MD.
- Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes. Dr. Barnard shows how to transition to a healthful vegan diet that’s been proven effective at stopping adult-onset diabetes in its tracks.
- Tackling Diabetes with Dr. Neal Barnard. A 150-minute DVD presentation introducing Dr. Barnard’s approach to overcoming diabetes through eating a healthful vegan diet.
Diet & Health
- Crazy Sexy Diet: Eat Your Veggies, Ignite Your Spark, and Live Like You Mean It!. Kris Carr overcame cancer, and in this book she shares all her secrets to healthful eating. She shows you how to clean up your diet, and effortlessly transition to meals rich in health-promoting fruits and vegetables.
- The China Study. The bestselling vegan book ever written; explores the classic study linking animal products to chronic and degenerative disease.
- Dr. McDougall’s Total Health Solution for the 21st Century. An extensive 300-minute DVD presentation on diet and health from Dr. John McDougall.
- Dr. McDougall’s Digestive Tune-Up. John McDougall, MD looks at the cause of digestive problems and offers up a style of eating designed to alleviate these troubles.
- Foods That Fight Pain. Dr. Neal Barnard identifies both vegan and non-vegan foods that have the potential to cause chronic discomfort and a variety of health problems.