You won’t have any problems finding an excellent cruelty-free brand of vegan hair conditioner. A number of companies make vegan conditioners that sell at every price point.
But perhaps you don’t want to read all about cruelty-free hair conditioners—you just want to find an excellent low-cost product. In that case you can stop reading here and just click through to Love Beauty & Planet’s Volume and Bounty Thickening Shampoo & Conditioner or their Hope and Repair Shampoo & Conditioner. You’ll get a twin-pack of vegan cruelty-free shampoo and conditioner for less than many companies charge for conditioner alone.
Why Do Hair Conditioners Often Contain Animal Products?
Shampoos and conditioners contain mostly the same ingredients. The one notable difference is that conditioners swap in oils in place of detergents, since the point of conditioners is to replace the natural oils that shampoos strip from the hair. These oils can be either plant or animal based. If they’re plant-based they typically come from coconuts or oil seeds. If they’re animal-based they are almost invariably rendered fats taken from slaughterhouses.
Animal fats are in no way superior to plant oils when it comes to conditioning hair, but they are much cheaper. That’s why the most inexpensive hair conditioners are rarely vegan.
Vegan & Cruelty-Free Hair Conditioner Products
Here are the bestselling vegan conditioners carried by Amazon.com:
- Acure: Unicorn Shimmer Conditioner
- Aubrey Organics: GPB Glycogen Protein Balancing Conditioner
- Avalon Organics: Strengthening Peppermint Conditioner
- Beauty Without Cruelty: Daily Benefits Conditioner
- Desert Essence: Fragrance Free Shampoo & Conditioner Bundle
- Garnier: Pure Clean Shampoo and Conditioner
- Giovanni: Balanced Hydrating Shampoo & Conditioner Set
- Honest Company: Truly Calming Conditioner
- L’ORÉAL: EverPure Sulfate Free Frizz-Defy Conditioner
- Love Beauty & Planet: Hemp Seed Oil & Nana Leaf Conditioner
- Mineral Fusion: Hair Repair Conditioner Conditioner
- Pacifica: Coconut Power Healing & Moisturizing Conditioner
- Paul Mitchell: Original Leave-in Conditioner and Detangler Conditioner
- Verb: Ghost Hair Mask