Once upon a time going dairy-free meant you’d need to give up cream cheese. But today there are a number of terrific and widely-available vegan brands. These products are so realistic that, in terms of taste and texture, they’re indistinguishable from dairy-based cream cheeses.
So if you think no bagel is complete without a schmear of cream cheese, you’re in luck. Vegan cream cheese is sold at natural foods stores everywhere, right where they keep the dairy-based brands that you no longer want.
Vegan Cream Cheese Brands
- Daiya: Cream Cheese Style Spread (Plain, Chive & Onion, Strawberry, Garden Vegetable)
- Go Veggie: Cream Cheese Alterative(Plain, Chive & Garlic, Strawberry)
- Follow Your Heart: Dairy-Free Cream Cheese
- Kite Hill: Dairy-Free Cream Cheese (Plain, Chive, Everything, & Garden Veggie)
- Miyoko’s: Cultured Vegan Cream Cheese (Classic, Scallion, & Fish-Free Lox)
- Tofutti: Better Than Cream Cheese (French Onion, Garden Veggie, Garlic & Herb, Herbs & Chives, Plain)
- Wild Creamery: Cream Cheese Alternative
Dairy-free cream cheese is magnificent on bagels, on whole grain bread with sprouts, and on raisin bread. It’s also delicious on whole grain crackers. When served as part of a sandwich, try adding a little of Indian-style pickle.