Most shampoos contain animal ingredients, which are present not because they add any vital cleaning properties, but because they’re ridiculously cheap. And many shampoos have been tested on animals.
Luckily, there are a great many cruelty-free shampoos on the market. These brands usually carry seals attesting to their refusal to use animal testing or ingredients. Despite what marketers would have you believe, unlike kitchen knives and automobiles there’s little difference in quality from one vegan shampoo brand to the next. So what you probably want is a big cheap bottle of vegan shampoo, ideally without the need to visit three different stores in search of it.
With that in mind, we recommend Nature’s Gate Pomegranate + Sunflower Shampoo. The product says “Vegan” right on front of the bottle, and you can buy a 32 ounce container at the previous link for less than the cost of an itty-bitty bottle of many other shampoos. The company also makes a 32-ounce bottle of vegan conditioner that lists for the same price as its shampoo.
If these products don’t do it for you, there are dozens of other possibilities. Just check out our list below. Each brand’s shampoo line is all-vegan unless noted otherwise:
- 100% Pure (A few varieties contain honey.)
- Acure Organics
- Avalon Organics
- Beauty Without Cruelty
- Blue Chamomile Shampoo, by Aubrey Organics. (Some of their other shampoos are also vegan.)
- Desert Essence Organics (Check ingredients—some varieties contain beeswax or honey.)
- Giovanni (All shampoos vegan except for their “Magnetic” line.)
- Kiss My Face
- L’ORÉAL EverPure shampoo & conditioner
- LUSH Solid Shampoo (Most varieties.)
- Mineral Fusion
- Morrocco Method
- Nature’s Gate